|Season 6, Episode 6 |
Number (#115) in series (133 episodes)
|Tape date||August 24, 1978|
|Air date:||October 14, 1978|
|Network/Country:||CBS-TV / United States|
|Written by:||Michael G. Moye|
|Directed by:||Gerren Keith|
|IMDB||Stomach Mumps (a.k.a. "Penny and the Facts of Life")|
Bern Nadette Stanis
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Florida Gets a Job"||"J.J. the Teacher" |
(a.k.a. "J.J.'s Favorite Student")
|List of Good Times seasons/episodes|
Stomach Mumps is the sixth episode of Season 6 of Good Times, and also 115th episode overall. Written by Michael G. Moye, the episode, which was directed by Gerren Keith, premiered on CBS-TV, first airing on October 14, 1978.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Storylin
- 3 Willona learns that one of Penny's friends is pregnant, she explains the situation to the 11-year-old - that her friend has a case of the "stomach mumps". Florida urges Willona to tell Penny the truth, putting a strain on the rekindled friendship.
- 4 Plot summary
- 5 Guest starring
- 6 Quotes
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Willona discovers that Penny's 13-year old friend is pregnant. Instead of telling her the truth, Willona tells Penny to stay away from her friend because she has the "stomach mumps".
Storylin[edit | edit source]
Willona learns that one of Penny's friends is pregnant, she explains the situation to the 11-year-old - that her friend has a case of the "stomach mumps". Florida urges Willona to tell Penny the truth, putting a strain on the rekindled friendship.[edit | edit source]
Plot summary[edit | edit source]
Willona (Ja'net DuBois) faces a crisis when her adopted daughter, Penny (Janet Jackson), begins asking questions about one of her 13-year-old girl friends. It seems that the girl has gotten pregnant, and Penny wants to know what's causing her friend's abdominal swelling. Unwilling to explain the facts of life, Willona comes up with a beauty of a whopper: Penny's chum, it seems, has a bad case of "stomach mumps."
Guest starring[edit | edit source]
No guests appeared in this episode.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Florida: It's a sad state of affairs when kids have to guess about sex because parents are too scared to face facts....it just isn't right !
- Penny: (entering the Evans' apartment) Hi.
- Florida: Penny, what are you doing here ??? Now, you know you shouldn't be here....
- Penny: Well, I just came over to borrow some eggs. I thought it'd be okay if I didn't talk or look at anyone..
- Florida: Then I guess it's all right
- Michael: Penny, how many eggs do you want ?
- Penny: Well, I'll take a whole carton if you've got it, Mama gave me enough money to pay for them
- JJ: Then how come you just didn't go to the store and buy some ???
- Penny: I've tried....but I couldn't go in because Tina was there...
- JJ: Ladies Ladies, please...allow the Henry Kissinger of the ghetto to intervene....
- Florida & Willona: SHUT UP, JJ !!!
- JJ: (turns around, walking away) See, Michael, I told you I'd get them to agree on ONE thing....
- Michael: Come on, JJ, let's get out of here and let mother & Willona talk about this thing....
- (Michael & JJ leave)
- Willona: Oh, when she's ready, I'll just...sit her down and talk to her.
- Florida: "When she's ready !" Willona, you can't gain anything by letting a girl Penny's age run around Chicago thinking that...BOOSTER SHOTS will keep her stomach down.
- Willona: And how do I know that she won't get into the same problem that Tina's in if I tell her what to do ?!!!
- Florida: You're not TELLING her what to do; You're explaining a very natural thing to her, but if you keep on this way she'll be scared to death....she may never know that it can also be beautiful....
- Willona: Flo, I don't know.....I love my daughter, I care what happens -
- Florida: Then for God Sakes, prepare her ! Don't just let her think that her best friend has a....six pound seven ounce...VIRUS in her belly
- Willona: Flo....
- (a tearful Penny comes back at the Evans' apartment w/ her clothes shredded & her hair messed up as it's revealed that she was sexually assaulted)
- Willona: Penny ???
- Penny: (crying) Mama !!!
- Willona: Penny, what's wrong ???
- Penny: (crying) He wouldn't - he wouldn't give them to me....
- Willona: Who wouldn't give you what baby, what's the matter ???
- Penny: (crying) I went to get the gym shorts
- Willona: You went to Tina's ?!
- Penny: No ! You told me not to, so I called someone else but she wasn't home. So, her brother brought them to me but when I - I met him in the hall, he - he said he wouldn't give them to me if I didn't let him.....if I didn't let him....(continues crying)
- Willona: (hugging Penny) Oh Baby...don't cry, don't cry
- Penny: But why did he try to do that, did I do anything wrong ??? I told him they would fit, I told him ! I told him they would fit....
- Willona: (panicking) Penny.....Penny, did he, did he ?!!!!
- Penny: (shaking her head "No") I ran away from him
- Willona: (sighs relievedly & hugs Penny) Ohh, Thank God....(turns to Florida) Flo....she's just a baby; a child
- Florida: No....she's a developing young woman and it's about time you give her all the information you can. Now, she's had a terrible experience
- but you can't let her think that's ALL there is to sex....in Heaven's name, Willona....take her home and talk to her NOW !!!
- Willona: (voice breaking) But I gotta....
- Florida: I'll call the police....you take her home !
- (Willona & Penny are about to leave)
- Willona: (turns to Florida, voice breaking) Flo...Flo....(hugs Florida, crying) Thank You.
- Florida: It's all right, baby....
- (applause from audience, Willona grabs Penny and rushes her back to their apartment, Florida slams the door & calls the police)